Sunday 4 September 2011

Pacman, My 3D Cube of Classic

I am Koh Hau Heong. I am from Graphic Design and Multimedia Tutorial class 1.This blog is dedicated to my 3D cube. This final assignment of the subject Creative Thinking and Idea Generation is kinda troublesome for me, I have to be honest, haha. This one last assignment require alots of time, materials, ideas and also skills(since it is handmade). Let me talk more about the subject before I start on my beloved 3D cube. After attending so many class of Mr. Malik, I finally know why we always need to generate different idea and also presenting in the tutorial class, because this is a requirement for our final assignment, 3D cube. The tutorial class that we attended help us to develop different idea in a different way, which is think something out of the box. Now finally i had done my 3D cube.

First of all, what I need to say is, I can do better than what I did now, if and only if I do not have some problem which is actually happened on me during the Hari Raya and I dont want to mention it again.

Now come and take a look on my 3D cube- Pacman.

The plan view of the cube (From top)


The front view of my cube



The 45 degree view of the cube (Front side)



The 45 degree side view of my cube (Right side)



The 45 degree side view of the cube (Backside)



The 45 degree side view of the cube (Left side)


Now, let me introduce and talk about my 3D cube.

Idea & Concept
I found that myself, I am totally a gamer. I love to play video games very much, I realize that I can use this hobby as an idea to represent myself for this assignment. I do played many games before and also currently, one of my all time favorite is an online game- World of Warcraft. I had actually sketch 1 idea about making a paper sword in this online game before. But after that another better idea was suddenly come in my mind, that is 'Pacman'. I'd rather do Pacman as an idea for my cube instead of using my favorite game World of Warcraft is because Pacman is a classic, epic and memorable game in the video game history. It is the first video game ever in the history, without Pacman, we won't have all kind of video games currently. In addition, the making of Pacman is surely easier than making a sword which that a proper template is needed. So, my final decision, make a Pacman as a 3D cube which can represent me as a whole.

There is a special for the cube. You can interact with the cube by moving the hand-made Pacman on the tunnel of the maze. It is the same concept with the original Pacman game which is moving around in the maze to consume its food.

Progress
This 3D cube was complete in the duration of 2 days. It was a rush because too many assignment need to be submit at the same time and I went back to hometown during the holiday for Hari Raya.

At first, I was prepared some Manilla Card to make the sword paper model, but then I changed my mind and I went to buy the materials again. I bought some polystyrene, the cutter, colored paper which is yellow in color, hole puncher and mounting board. I start my work right after i bought those materials.

First, I cut the 20cmx20cm of the mounting board as the base of the cube. After that, I draw the measurement for the polystrene as the obstacles. In order to let the Pacman which is coins of 2cm in radius to move in the tunnel, I have measure and make sure each lane of tunnel have the space of 2.5cm. After that, I punch many holes on the yellow colored paper to make the 'food' Pacman, I stick those paper 1 by one with constant range in certain lane to make sure it is uniform.
Next, I measure the obstacles on the polystyrene and cut it with the Polystyrene cutter. It was time consuming but it was fun since this is the first time I cut a polystryene with a special cutter. Then i stick all the polystyrene on the mounting board. After that, I measure the 4 walls of the cube to create a compound for the Pacman to move inside it. I found that it is better to cover up the outer polystryene wall with the mounting board in order to protect it from external damage. Lastly, I cut the polystyrene  according to the exact shape of the 10 cent coin and stick on it to create the handmade Pacman. I am using 2 coins to increase the weight of the Pacman in order to make it move easier. Then, I cut the yellow-colored paper to cover up the whole thing and draw the mouth and the eyes of the Pacman. Thats it, I had done my 3D cube. It is simple yet complicated cube that I ever made. I can conclude that the hardest part in the making process is the measurement for the base and cutting the polystyrene. Now I am finally done, and I want to thank my friends for fetching me around to buy those materials and also my lecturer Mr. Malik to teaching me along the semester.

Thank You.



No comments:

Post a Comment